As I look around post-holiday season, I am seeing more and more regular, non-technical friends and family get connected on their mobile devices. What does that mean? A great example is that of my father-in-law who got rid of his old Motorola Startac and exchanged it for an iPhone. Yes, he got an iPhone, and […]
May 9, 2008
As I have mentioned before, Nokia is one of the few handset manufacturers to get it (See my post from 2/07 on this). Nokia understands that hardware margins are eroding and like in many technology businesses the value is in the software and monthly service revenue. In addition, as time goes by, more and more […]
Nov 6, 2007
There is a ton of hype on the wireless front especially with the announcement of Android, the Google operating system for mobile phones. I too am quite excited about the prospects of having applications that are written once on the Google OS that can be ported to any other phone on any other network that […]
Aug 2, 2007
As I have said before, Nokia’s biggest competitor in the future may be Google. If Nokia doesn’t offer value added services and software on its phones, Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft will. In a world of shrinking margins on handset hardware sales, finding every valuable cent per user per ad or selling services for monthyl revenue […]
I am not here to pile on the Amp’d Mobile situation, but I find it is always important to learn as much as you can from your mistakes and from other people’s mistakes. Rafat Ali has a great interview with Peter Adderton, the former CEO of Amp’d Mobile. Here are a couple of interesting points […]
Jul 24, 2007
The Wall Street Journal announced another Nokia mobile internet purchase today of a company called Twango which allows users to share photos, video, and media. According to the WSJ, the Twango service will be integrated into Nokia phones and will start with a free and premium based subscription model. While this acquisition in and of […]
Mar 15, 2007
I am sure you have seen the news all over the web and Techmeme about Microsoft’s purchase of TellMe, which is rumored to be around $800mm. As you can see from this Microsoft press release, the big opportunity is for Microsoft to use the TellMe voice-driven user interface as a key component for mobile handsets:We’ve […]
Feb 8, 2007
I noticed today that Nokia released a free mapping program called Smart2Go which can easily be downloaded over the air to cell phones. In and of itself, I did not find the news terribly interesting as Google Maps is a great app which is also free and there are countless others going after the space. […]
Jan 18, 2007
It is pretty clear that Scott McNealy’s pitch years ago that the "Network is the Computer" is finally coming into fruition with broadband penetration at 50% and wireless data speeds getting faster and faster every year. Having a network available to you 24/7 makes it easier to keep your data in the cloud and accessible […]
Jul 11, 2006
As you know, it is no secret to look to Europe and Asia to understand the future of new wireless services. As I mentioned in the past, having a hit wireless app can be a big play, but the chances of making it happen are far and few between, especially since business success hinges on […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.