In early 2006, I wrote a post titled "The next generation web, scaling and data mining will matter." In it, I highlighted some thoughts on the future:I truly believe the next battleground will be based on scaling the back end and more importantly mining all of that clickstream data to offer a better service to […]
Jan 22, 2009
I had lunch with a friend last week when we were talking about the days years and years ago where it was cool to have an email address on your business card. In fact, I remember picking attorneys to work on our venture deals in the mid-90s not only based on cost and experience but […]
May 21, 2008
I had some interesting meetings yesterday and as I reflected on them this morning, one common theme emerged which is that the next generation of the web will be built on data mining and extracting intelligence from the reams of data web services collect on a daily basis. This reminds me of a post I […]
Chris Anderson does a nice job of summarizing the rise of the "free" business model starting with the Razor/razor blade to the world of the web where he argues that all services eventually get priced at their marginal cost. And as Chris rightly describes, that price is quickly going to zero in a world of […]
What a great move by Microsoft! This has been floating around for awhile and the last time I wrote about it was in May of 2007. Anyway, I thought I bought at the bottom for Yahoo months ago in which case it fell another 25% from there. When I saw the news this morning I […]
Jan 16, 2008
I am helping a friend who has the most popular books on baby naming bring it all online. Our development on the backend is close to complete, and we are looking for a great web designer who can create a few templates and themes for us. This is a database driven site and the homepage […]
Jan 9, 2008
As you know, I am a huge believer in open standards and that open standards (over time) will usually prevail over proprietary, closed networks. And my one wish from a social networking perspective was to really be able to manage all of my relationships from various networks and my interests from one meta-application. In June […]
We have had quite a resurgence in the web market during the last few years. A number of great companies have come out of nowhere to become household names, and it seems that everyday we are inundated with news on another slew of new web startups going after the consumer. And yes, looking for the […]
Nov 8, 2007
Tim O’Reilly has a great post on Google’s OpenSocial. At the end of the day, I couldn’t agree more with Tim’s thoughts that OpenSocial is great for developers but a who cares for users. If all OpenSocial does is allow developers to port their applications more easily from one social network to another, that’s a […]
Sep 12, 2007
I am definitely the first one to understand that there is no free lunch on the web. At the end of the day, someone has to pay for all of the great services and content out there. To boot, I am a big believer in the ad-driven model of content. To this point, there is […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.