I remember 2 years ago the brouhaha over globalization and how every startup needed to adapt or it would die. I truly am a fervent believer in globalization and how offshoring some development work can make a ton of sense from a cost and time advantage (24×7). As I look across our portfolio, what is […]
Congratulations to George Cigale and his Tutor.com (full disclosure – portfolio company and my partner Dan DeWolf is on the board) team for the launch of their direct-to consumer service which offers live homework help and online tutoring. This is the culmination of a mission that George set out to realize over 8 years ago. […]
Sep 15, 2006
I encourage you to read what Evan Williams has to say (courtesy of Gigaom) about some of the mistakes he made at Odeo. Evan is one of the founders of Blogger which he sold to Google and is also founder and CEO of Odeo, a podcasting company. He goes on to outline a number of […]
Sep 14, 2006
in Venture Capital
I recently had the opportunity to do a podcast with Heather Green of BusinessWeek and Blogspotting. If you have a desire to hear about some of the areas I find interesting and to learn about pitfalls to avoid for startups, I suggest that you download the show. My only regret is that we did not […]
Nisan Gabbay of Sierra Ventures recently contacted me with respect to his new blog, Startup Review. According to Nisan: Startup Review will be a blog that profiles successful Internet start-ups in a case study format. The case studies will analyze the key factors that made the companies successful, with an emphasis on strategy and product […]
Sep 13, 2006
As an entrepreneur, you are most likely spending most of your time building your product and getting it to market. in other words, you are focusing on the big picture which is what you should be doing. I do want to share with you a couple of anecdotes about not forgetting to take care of […]
While reading the Wall Street Journal this morning, the Facebook story caught my eye. Facebook has clearly built a huge community and is one of the leading social networks on the web. However, I was mystified about the backlash the company received about its new service allowing users to better keep track of their friends […]
Sep 6, 2006
As you know, talent is the lifeblood of any company. Given that, I have written a number of posts on hiring (see here and here). I recently saw Joel Sposky’s (Joel on Software) post on hiring great developers and thought that I would share it with you. He makes a number of great points and […]
Sep 2, 2006
in On Demand
There has been lots of discussion about Google going after Microsoft with a focus on collaborative office tools vs. siloed, desktop-oriented ones. I can definitely see a need for some of what Google has to offer particularly with the ease of use of unlocking data and analysis and sharing it with others. All that being […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.