I am out in the Bay area the next couple of days but unfortunately will not be at Web 2.0. That being said, I suggest staying up-to-date on next-generation web applications and services through Emily Chang’s eHub. It is great to see all of the innovation out there but we must remember while it takes […]
Sep 28, 2005
There has been lots of discussion about Tim O’Reilly’s Web2MemeMap. This is a nice graphical representation of what is happening in this next wave of the Internet. As an add-on to this, I thought I would compare and contrast some differences, all quite obvious, with the first euphoric Internet wave. I have shared many of […]
Feb 28, 2005
From day one, I got into blogging not knowing what to expect and figuring out the best way to learn about a market is to dive into it and become a user. So I did that 18 months ago assuming that the time I spent as a blogger would either help me find compelling investment […]
Feb 25, 2005
A number of companies are developing software and sytems which rely on packet processing at high speeds to deliver their respective functionality. This includes companies in the networking and security space. The debate over custom ASICs versus off-the-shelf components has raged on over the years. Over the last five years a new class of chip […]
Jan 29, 2005
There is obviously lots of innovation happening in the search space. Luckily, I have 2 portfolio companies that I respectively invested in during 1999 and 2000 which survived the nuclear winter and are having an opportunity to contribute to this innovation by helping make search better and easier for users. One is Gurunet which delivers […]
Dec 16, 2004
A number of my readers alerted me to the fact that Fast Company has a survey on the best VC blogs. Considering that VCs can be quite competitive and my cohorts Brad and Jeff are already stuffing the ballot box, please take a moment and cast your vote for me. All kidding aside, since this […]
Oct 27, 2004
Fred Wilson and John Battelle have some interesting posts on the future of television and advertising. Fred and John both seem to believe that the concept of paid search will eventually work its way into television advertising. I suggest reading their posts if you have an interest in this space and learning how it will […]
Oct 20, 2004
Here is an interesting article from Business Week about why Microsoft is not so scary anymore. While I do not necessarily buy the argument that a company with billions of dollars of cash on its balance sheet is not scary, the article does raise some interesting questions about Microsoft’s growth, particularly on the enterprise side. […]
Oct 6, 2004
Unfortunately I could not make it to the west coast for the Vortex or Web 2.0 conferences. However, I have been following Vortex via Jeff Nolan and Web 2.0 through a variety of bloggers. As I read through Jeff Nolan’s notes on the enterprise and thoughts from the gorillas in the market, Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, […]
Oct 1, 2004
There has been lots of discussion about the web as the new platform so none of what I am saying is new. However, I recently came across Adam Bosworth’s take on this which is quite interesting given his experience at Microsoft, BEA, and now Google. The platform of this decade isn’t going to be around […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.