I am always looking for new tools and services to help me better understand who my readers are, what they like to read, and where they like to go. Besides the more active participants that like to comment and trackback to some of my posts, many of my readers have been anonymous to me and […]
Microsoft released its third quarter numbers the other day and while revenue growth was strong, the stock got hammered and dropped over 10%. Why? Microsoft plans on investing for the long term and putting another $2b into the Internet and other new technologies like the XBox. To sum it up, here is Rick Sherlund, Goldman […]
As I wrote last year, this "web as platform" gospel is starting to spread quickly from consumer to thoughts on the enterprise. In my mind, what has enabled this enterprise web phenonomenon has been two thoughts – lightweight and simple. Of course, lightweight and simple equals cheap and fast to implement. It is quite easy […]
Mar 24, 2006
In 1994, the smartest guys in the financial trading and academic world got together to start Long Term Capital. John Meriwether from
We are all enjoying the benefits that come with the commoditization of existing hardware and software infrastructure. It is true that it costs exponentially less to launch a business today versus five years ago. We are all smarter, broadband penetration is reaching critical mass, and open source and commodity hardware have become reliable alternatives to […]
Jan 15, 2006
Sure, the next-generation web is cheap. It is about cheaper bandwidth, cheaper hardware, free software, and better tools. In other words, you get much more done with much less than in years past. I have written about this in a prior post, Web as Platform. Anyway, has anyone noticed the arms race for talent out […]
As I have written before, most of the talk about this next generation web has focused around consumer applications. I, however, have always believed that we should not forget the enterprise. This resurgence of web-based and loosely coupled applications has been driven by consumer-based innovation but there are many pockets of opportunities for the enterprise […]
I was in California 3 weeks ago when Jeff Nolan told me he was leaving SAP Ventures and moving to a new group within SAP desgined to "Kill Oracle." We talked about all of the great innovation happening on the web, much of which is consumer-focused, and why it was a good time to make […]
Oct 15, 2005
Angus Bankes, CTO of Moreover, recently introduced me to Jeremy Ruston, the creator of TiddlyWiki. I honestly did not really get it at first, but I have been using TiddlyWiki since last weekend and have really grown to like it. According to Jeremy, who I spoke to this week, Tiddlywiki is a reusable, non-linear, personal […]
Oct 11, 2005
Like Nick Denton and David Galbraith, I can’t comment on the acquisition. What I can say is that Moreover was a pioneer in the early use of weblogs via newsblogger, news search, and content syndication via XML and RSS. That being said, we had to make some choices when the economy cratered in 2000 and […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.