If you are a big company getting your butt kicked, it seems like the thing to do is issue a memo. Bill Gates did it after Microsoft lost out on the first wave of the Internet. Ray Ozzie wrote one for Microsoft about the importance of software as a service last year (see an earlier […]
Nov 11, 2006
Greg Linden has a great post summarizing a talk that Marissa Mayer of Google gave at the recent Web 2.0 conference. I encourage you to read it because Marissa talks about how Google ran a user test where users wanted more search results. Surprisingly, traffic and revenue dropped by 20% and what Marissa discovered was […]
In an earlier post titled "When Competitors are acquired" I discussed that rather than sulk and wish it were you who was bought, smart companies will go out and capitalize on the opportunity as their competition is temporarily distracted and inwardly focused on creating synergies. Rather than comment on the whys of the Google Jotspot […]
Oct 14, 2006
Mike Masnick of Techdirt has launched a new service called the "Techdirt Insight Community." Mike is an active blogger but also has run a corporate intelligence service for awhile mining the web for customized news and insight tailored for your company (think competitive analysis, updates, reviews on your products, etc. – check out Jeff Nolan’s […]
Oct 12, 2006
It is always great to see hard work rewarded. Congratulations to Steve Klein, Pierre Berkaloff, and the rest of the Colloquis team (my partner Ned Carlson is on the board) for building the company over the last few years and making this happen. For any startup there are always a few missteps along the way […]
I must admit that I have seen way too many social networking related plays that want to be the next MySpace of some niche market. When asked about monetization the standard answer is they have a much more focused audience than MySpace with highly targeted CPMs. Guess what, if MySpace is only monetizing a fraction […]
Congratulations to George Cigale and his Tutor.com (full disclosure – portfolio company and my partner Dan DeWolf is on the board) team for the launch of their direct-to consumer service which offers live homework help and online tutoring. This is the culmination of a mission that George set out to realize over 8 years ago. […]
While reading the Wall Street Journal this morning, the Facebook story caught my eye. Facebook has clearly built a huge community and is one of the leading social networks on the web. However, I was mystified about the backlash the company received about its new service allowing users to better keep track of their friends […]
Jul 26, 2006
We all know about the groundbreaking work from Chris Anderson from Wired about the Long Tail. In theory it makes a ton of sense – on the web, companies have no inventory costs and can stock as many titles or products as possible and that over time the one-offs or misses can generate as much […]
Jul 25, 2006
Having invested in a couple of security companies, I am pretty adamant about security when it comes to my personal computers. Until now, I have been using Norton Antivirus, ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and Webroot’s SpySweeper. Things were going great until a few days ago when I upgraded my Webroot Spysweeper from v4.5.9 to v5 […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.