No matter how many times I told my friend that he needed to get a deck together for a potential capital raise and model out some thoughts on market sizing and financials, I ran into resistance. It was not because he didn't think it was important or that it mattered. It was because he was […]
A friend of mine is putting together his first deck for potential investors. In typical startup fashion, they launched a product, got a number of users, and then iterated several times to improve the service. With the product in the hands of tens of thousands of users, they started getting inbound requests from larger organizations […]
The alarm bells are ringing in Silicon Valley and start-up land today with Sequoia Capital and Ron Conway telling companies to prepare for the economic meltdown and to raise cash by cutting their burn. This is not new news as being in New York we started to feel the real economic impact in mid-September as […]
The economy is clearly slowing down and the IPO market is nonexistent. As I have always said, this is the time to hunker down and tweak your business to get your model right. If you are interested in exiting today, M&A continues to be the only viable path along that front. Having been through a […]
Jul 31, 2008
in Venture Capital
The Jordan Edmiston Group recently asked me and a few other VCs a few pointed questions about the future for circulation in their July Client Briefing. As an aside, I worked with JEGI two years ago and they did a fantastic job helping us sell Moreover Technologies to Verisign. They understand the media and online […]
What I like to tell portfolio companies is that on average it will take 6 months to raise capital with some cycles being shorter and some being longer. Given that, it is imperative for a company to start thinking about its next round well ahead of time and the milestones it needs to hit to […]
I just got the 451 Group’s summary on the top M&A bankers for 2007. As with 2006, Goldman Sachs was #1 on the list. Take a look: Top five overall advisers, 2007 Adviser Deal value Deal volume 2006 ranking Goldman Sachs $79bn 43 1 Credit […]
Congratulations to Bill, Scott and team on our new $27mm round of funding led by Meritech and including Sun Microsystems and SAP Ventures. You guys have been pushing the envelope since I have known you and delivering some spectacular results to boot. It is nice to see our team and product get validated with a […]
It seems that everyday there is a new annoucement of a tiny startup being bought by a large company. Two days ago it was Jaiku being bought by Google and this morning CBS announced that it is buying Dotspotter, a 10 month old gossip blog. Put yourself in these entrepreneurs’ shoes – you launch a […]
I am sure you remember the ebay-Skype deal where ebay coughed up $2.6b upfront for Skype and offered an earnout of up to another $1.7b for hitting performance numbers. Besides the value of the deal, what struck me most was that 40% of the total potential deal size was based on performance-based milestones. Fast forward […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.