Chris Anderson does a nice job of summarizing the rise of the "free" business model starting with the Razor/razor blade to the world of the web where he argues that all services eventually get priced at their marginal cost. And as Chris rightly describes, that price is quickly going to zero in a world of [...]
I just got the 451 Group’s summary on the top M&A bankers for 2007. As with 2006, Goldman Sachs was #1 on the list. Take a look: Top five overall advisers, 2007 Adviser Deal value Deal volume 2006 ranking Goldman Sachs $79bn 43 1 Credit [...]
What a great move by Microsoft! This has been floating around for awhile and the last time I wrote about it was in May of 2007. Anyway, I thought I bought at the bottom for Yahoo months ago in which case it fell another 25% from there. When I saw the news this morning I [...]
Congratulations to Bill, Scott and team on our new $27mm round of funding led by Meritech and including Sun Microsystems and SAP Ventures. You guys have been pushing the envelope since I have known you and delivering some spectacular results to boot. It is nice to see our team and product get validated with a [...]
Jan 17, 2008
I got a call before the holidays from a prospective customer that I introduced to one of my portfolio companies. He said he loved our product, saw it fitting in perfectly into their platform, but that we were not responsive enough to their needs. I was able to get a second chance for our team [...]
Jan 16, 2008
Here is another example of one of my portfolio companies’ mantras: Google giveth and Google taketh away (see my post from April for more on this). Who knows the real reason why Google shut off Adsense for Incredimail (Nasdaq: MAIL) but look at what happened to the stock in one day—a 40% drop. I am [...]
Jan 10, 2008
I was catching up on my feed reader this morning and noticed my friend Jeff Nolan’s post (also see Brad Feld) on Newsgator and FeedDemon RSS clients now being free. I know that Jeff joined Newsgator because of his belief in the enterprise, and I applaud the company’s new strategy. As I have written before, [...]
Jan 9, 2008
I had a great conversation wtih a friend of mine yesterday about the latest release of his product. He had mentioned that one of my clips from the Economist (see below) on Evan Williams from Blogger and Twitter fame spurred some lively debate at his company. The key thought from Evan is rather than worry [...]
Jan 1, 2008
I have been a Ravens fan for quite awhile, and I am glad they finally made this move. Being an avid sports fan and former DI lacrosse player, I have always tried to take lessons from the sports world into the business world. This is yet another example that reminds me of working with startups. [...]
Dec 12, 2007
Tis the holiday season and with the end of year comes budget planning for 2008. So that means it is time to get all of your key management members together to start reviewing 2007, what worked well, what did not work out, and to hammer out goals for next year. In the spirit of giving, [...]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Marcus Robbins: Right on the money! I started w Cutco in 00' as ...
- Billy Bob: ...and on today's episode of "how to be disingenuo...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.
- Marcus Robbins: Right on the money! I started w Cutco in 00′ as an 18 year old college freshman, I never...
- Billy Bob: …and on today’s episode of “how to be disingenuous.” The problem with this...