I did an interview with Rich Maguire of Datamation last week which he just posted yesterday. While the markets seemed to get excited for a day about the bank bailout, attention is turning toward an even bigger problem for startups, a potential recession. The consumer no longer has that ATM called their house and confidence […]
Oct 15, 2008
The alarm bells are ringing in Silicon Valley and start-up land today with Sequoia Capital and Ron Conway telling companies to prepare for the economic meltdown and to raise cash by cutting their burn. This is not new news as being in New York we started to feel the real economic impact in mid-September as […]
Oct 1, 2008
I received some incredible news last night from two portfolio company CEOs updating me on our Q3 numbers. They not only hit their respective forecasts set early in the year, but they beat them. Normally I expect our portfolio companies to hit their numbers, but I am ecstatic because we delivered in the midst of […]
Sep 15, 2008
Being in New York, it is hard to escape the realities of the ailing financial sector. When I took the train into the city this morning I could see the somber look in people’s eyes knowing what had just happened to Lehman Brothers and the uncertainty of the financial markets and economy. Given this state […]
The economy is clearly slowing down and the IPO market is nonexistent. As I have always said, this is the time to hunker down and tweak your business to get your model right. If you are interested in exiting today, M&A continues to be the only viable path along that front. Having been through a […]
Jun 5, 2008
The world that we live in trades on reputation. What that means is that eventually whether you are raising capital or landing new customers, your references will matter. If you are an entrepreneur, a VC will want to do some deep reference checks on you and also on any major customers or partners. If you […]
What I like to tell portfolio companies is that on average it will take 6 months to raise capital with some cycles being shorter and some being longer. Given that, it is imperative for a company to start thinking about its next round well ahead of time and the milestones it needs to hit to […]
Apr 9, 2008
During the last month, I have been in board meetings and thinking to myself about what was going well and what wasn’t. And when the discussion came to revenue, one common theme that always seemed to surface was a focus on the next product. What I mean is that when discussing why our current product […]
I have recently met a number of startups with interesting consumer applications or services. As expected, many of these startups have a vision to rely on advertising to pay the bills. And like many startups, a number of these companies have plans to add a direct ad sales staff over time. That makes a ton […]
Mar 19, 2008
I was waiting for this day to happen. Each day I go online and also glance at the newspaper, and there is nothing but bad news. And yes, it is true that some of the best technology companies were built when the economy was at its worst. And I always like to think that it […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.