I am not going to rehash Om Malik's excellent summary of "What went wrong with Joost" but I did want to dive deeper into a few points. As I have always said, raising too much money can be a curse and not a blessing. Here is an excerpt from my post in 2006Trust me, I […]
I was recently asked by a friend if he should get his son the new Nintendo DSi. This would be an upgrade from the current DS and also add the photo capability. As I thought about my own son's usage of the device, I said no. Once my son got an IPod Touch for music […]
I have made many posts in the past about focus and doing more with less, and as I continued on this path it reminded me of Occam's Razor, the idea that the simplest explanation to any problem is the best explanation. Of course Occam's Razor can get more complex but over the years it has […]
May 12, 2009
Jonathan Kay from Grasshopper sent me a great video on entrepreneurship. First I love the inspirational message. Secondly, I like the use of a viral video to cleverly promote his virtual PBX numbers for entrepreneurs. Take a look and hopefully it will brighten up your day. What I love about the message is that entrepreneurship […]
Pioneers get arrows in their backs – I have experienced it firsthand from an active investor's viewpoint and written about it in the past. Being early in a market is great but being too early can be deadly. Just like the settlers in the westward migration, entrepreneurs who are too early will get arrows in […]
Apr 14, 2009
I read a great article by James Surowiecki in the New Yorker the other day titled "Hanging Tough." In the piece, James gives a historical perspective on companies that thrived and grew during previous recessions by increasing spending on on advertising and R&D. While I am not advocating that companies go out and blow their […]
No matter how many times I told my friend that he needed to get a deck together for a potential capital raise and model out some thoughts on market sizing and financials, I ran into resistance. It was not because he didn't think it was important or that it mattered. It was because he was […]
Feb 20, 2009
My expectations for 2009 are that things will get worse before they get better. On the portfolio company side, I would rather have my companies growing at a lesser rate getting closer to breakeven than growing too aggressively and burning lots of cash. Once your house is in order (see some earlier posts I made […]
A friend of mine is putting together his first deck for potential investors. In typical startup fashion, they launched a product, got a number of users, and then iterated several times to improve the service. With the product in the hands of tens of thousands of users, they started getting inbound requests from larger organizations […]
Oct 22, 2008
Despite these tough times, there are still some bullheaded companies who think they can grow their way out of this mess or find the right M&A partner to bail them out. I can guarantee you that this is a recipe for disaster. I was on the phone today with the CEO of one our portfolio […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.