I have made many posts in the past about focus and doing more with less, and as I continued on this path it reminded me of Occam's Razor, the idea that the simplest explanation to any problem is the best explanation. Of course Occam's Razor can get more complex but over the years it has [...]
May 12, 2009
Jonathan Kay from Grasshopper sent me a great video on entrepreneurship. First I love the inspirational message. Secondly, I like the use of a viral video to cleverly promote his virtual PBX numbers for entrepreneurs. Take a look and hopefully it will brighten up your day. What I love about the message is that entrepreneurship [...]
Pioneers get arrows in their backs – I have experienced it firsthand from an active investor's viewpoint and written about it in the past. Being early in a market is great but being too early can be deadly. Just like the settlers in the westward migration, entrepreneurs who are too early will get arrows in [...]
Apr 14, 2009
I read a great article by James Surowiecki in the New Yorker the other day titled "Hanging Tough." In the piece, James gives a historical perspective on companies that thrived and grew during previous recessions by increasing spending on on advertising and R&D. While I am not advocating that companies go out and blow their [...]
No matter how many times I told my friend that he needed to get a deck together for a potential capital raise and model out some thoughts on market sizing and financials, I ran into resistance. It was not because he didn't think it was important or that it mattered. It was because he was [...]
Amazon has taken off with its cloud compute infrastructure but there still have been some limitations from an enterprise perspective. Mainly, some enterprises are concerned about keeping their data private, about reliability, and storage costs over time. Any enterprise looking at potentially leveraging the cloud would love to have a hybrid solution which allows them [...]
Mar 4, 2009
in Digital Media
I have written a few post about the future of television advertising (10/2004, 11/2006, and 12/2006). Yes the web has taken over and yes video on the web is advancing rapidly but that does not mean that the $60b spent on television advertising will disappear overnight. What is needed for the industry is a way [...]
Feb 20, 2009
My expectations for 2009 are that things will get worse before they get better. On the portfolio company side, I would rather have my companies growing at a lesser rate getting closer to breakeven than growing too aggressively and burning lots of cash. Once your house is in order (see some earlier posts I made [...]
Feb 10, 2009
Ashlee Vance from the Bits Blog has a nice piece on why Cisco raised another $4b of cash through a debt offering yesterday even though they have $30b in cash. "As word of Cisco’s debt sale hit Wall Street, the standard chatter surrounding possible targets began anew. As usual, companies like EMC, NetApp, Sun Microsystems, [...]
Feb 4, 2009
in Digital Media
It is great to see my friend Andrew Erlichson getting some rave reviews for Phanfare Photon, his iPhone photo app. According to ReadWriteWeb:"Phanfare's Photon is currently the best photo sharing and photo management app on the iPhone. It is important to note that Photon puts less emphasis on social feature than other services like Radar, [...]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Marcus Robbins: Right on the money! I started w Cutco in 00' as ...
- Billy Bob: ...and on today's episode of "how to be disingenuo...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.
- Marcus Robbins: Right on the money! I started w Cutco in 00′ as an 18 year old college freshman, I never...
- Billy Bob: …and on today’s episode of “how to be disingenuous.” The problem with this...