As a VC who invests in seed and first rounds, I love revenue just as much as the next guy. However, the focus on revenue should play second fiddle to a user/customer first experience. Over the years, how many times have we seen companies grow from next to nothing in user base and somehow forget […]
Dec 9, 2010
I just caught this blog post from Seth Weintraub from Fortune on Android: Andy Rubin just Tweeted that Google (GOOG) is activating 300,000 phones a day. That passes Apple’s (AAPL) iOS, that passes Blackberry (RIMM). That even matches any figures that Symbian has ever put up. Google is closing in on an astounding 10 million […]
I remember when we hired a new CEO for one of our portfolio companies and my tip to him was to overcommunicate. We had a few large VCs on the board and a number of high-profile angels that could also help in various ways. His job was to keep everyone up-to-date but also to know […]
Oct 7, 2010
The other day I received a direct mail piece from FreshDirect, the online delivery service based out of New York. What struck me is that the service has been around for years in NYC, and it is now getting out to some of the suburbs in New Jersey. In fact, after having done a little […]
Sep 30, 2010
After meeting with a number of entrepreneurs I recently seed funded, it was clear to me that one of the major challenges founders face is how to continue to scale their management style. My preferred seed investment is in an engineering driven/product focused team who can code and get product out the door under the […]
Sep 28, 2010
It's not easy to build a service that everyone loves and even harder to build one that gets 3000 new users a day on an installed base of 2 million users. Once there you may think of yourself in the drivers seat as having built a successful company. Unfortunately, this is where the need for […]
Congratulations to Greenplum and Scott Yara, Bill Cook, and Luke Lonergan in particular! It has been quite a roller coaster ride over the last 10 years and there were a number of times we stared at the abyss only to come back stronger. This is a story of great people and incredible perseverance. The great […]
As I have stressed over the years, it is imperative for board members and their management teams to have open dialogue. If you are a CEO, I encourage you to share more rather than less information. One of the best tools that a number of our CEOs use is a weekly email summarizing by department […]
Apr 1, 2010
In early 2006, I wrote a post titled "The next generation web, scaling and data mining will matter." In it, I highlighted some thoughts on the future:I truly believe the next battleground will be based on scaling the back end and more importantly mining all of that clickstream data to offer a better service to […]
Mar 30, 2010
During the last month I have spent more time looking at Angel investments as I believe it is a great time to start a business. However, one key question I keep asking myself after meeting with entrepreneur after entrepreneur is whether or not what they have is just a feature of a larger product offering, […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.