James Surowiecki has a great article in the New Yorker this week about the new Nintendo Wii system, titled "In Praise of Third Place." What James really asks is if you are a distant third in a market, how do you compete with the big boys? In this case, Nintendo is slugging it out with […]
Nov 28, 2006
Nov 21, 2006
in Digital Media
A little over 2 years ago, I wrote a post about the future of television advertising. While I have always been bullish about broadband video advertising, I have never believed that the $60b television advertising industry would disappear overnight. In fact, before the Internet dominates all advertising why couldn’t one bring the tools of the […]
Nov 18, 2006
If you are a big company getting your butt kicked, it seems like the thing to do is issue a memo. Bill Gates did it after Microsoft lost out on the first wave of the Internet. Ray Ozzie wrote one for Microsoft about the importance of software as a service last year (see an earlier […]
I am not sure if you saw the news, but Salary.com recently filed for an IPO to raise up to $50 million. On the book is Thomas Weisel Partners, William Blair, Needham, Pacific Crest, and Wachovia. According to the S-1 filing:Salary.com is a leading provider of on-demand compensation management solutions. Our comprehensive on-demand software applications […]
Nov 15, 2006
I had the pleasure, and I mean pleasure, of recently rebuilding two of my home PCs running Windows XP because of performance degradation and other issues. I ended up doing a clean wipe of the hard drives and reinstalling Windows XP from scratch. Once I got the machines up and running with broadband connection, I […]
Nov 11, 2006
Greg Linden has a great post summarizing a talk that Marissa Mayer of Google gave at the recent Web 2.0 conference. I encourage you to read it because Marissa talks about how Google ran a user test where users wanted more search results. Surprisingly, traffic and revenue dropped by 20% and what Marissa discovered was […]
Nov 6, 2006
in Digital Media
As I wrote early last year, my perspective is that one must go early, go late, or go home to make money in the venture market. Given that we at Dawntreader have always been early, that is where we will continue to focus. What is interesting is that on the heels of the new seed […]
There is a great BusinessWeek article outlining Amazon’s ambition to be a utility for web businesses. This reminds me of a conversation I had last month with a founder and former CTO of one our of our prior portfolio companies who said his goal was to have a highly successful SAAS play with 1 operations […]
In an earlier post titled "When Competitors are acquired" I discussed that rather than sulk and wish it were you who was bought, smart companies will go out and capitalize on the opportunity as their competition is temporarily distracted and inwardly focused on creating synergies. Rather than comment on the whys of the Google Jotspot […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.