We all know about the groundbreaking work from Chris Anderson from Wired about the Long Tail. In theory it makes a ton of sense – on the web, companies have no inventory costs and can stock as many titles or products as possible and that over time the one-offs or misses can generate as much [...]
Jul 25, 2006
Having invested in a couple of security companies, I am pretty adamant about security when it comes to my personal computers. Until now, I have been using Norton Antivirus, ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and Webroot’s SpySweeper. Things were going great until a few days ago when I upgraded my Webroot Spysweeper from v4.5.9 to v5 [...]
Jul 23, 2006
Fred Wilson has a great post on remembering the old wounds from the last bubble in 2000. In particular, he highlights the question that many of us have asked at board meetings – are we being too conservative or is it time to step on the gas a little. This is a vibrant area for [...]
Jul 22, 2006
Sipphone (full disclosure-my fund is an investor and I am on the board), developers of Gizmo Project, made a bold move yesterday offering users free calls to mobile and landlines in over 60 countries. It is akin to the old MCI Friends and Family plan where customers could call other MCI customers for free. This [...]
Jul 20, 2006
It is always helpful to get benchmark data on your competitors and on other companies that have a similar business model. To that end, I encourage you to sign up for the SIIA Financial Survey to see how you stack up against your competitors. We encourage you to invite your software industry portfolio companies to [...]
Jul 19, 2006
Congrats to the Sipphone team (full disclosure-portfolio company and I am on board) for getting the Gizmo Project client out for the Nokia Internet 770 Tablet (see Andy Abramson’s blog for more on this). This is quite exciting as the company is executing on its vision and roadmap to extend its SIP and IM service [...]
Jul 11, 2006
I am always looking for new tools and services to help me better understand who my readers are, what they like to read, and where they like to go. Besides the more active participants that like to comment and trackback to some of my posts, many of my readers have been anonymous to me and [...]
Jul 11, 2006
As you know, it is no secret to look to Europe and Asia to understand the future of new wireless services. As I mentioned in the past, having a hit wireless app can be a big play, but the chances of making it happen are far and few between, especially since business success hinges on [...]
Jul 6, 2006
As I mention in an earlier post, companies evolve and need different types of management with different profiles as they grow. A clear kiss of death that I have seen more often than not is hiring a VP of Sales too early. Here is the typical scenario – you just signed 3 or 4 customers [...]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Marcus Robbins: Right on the money! I started w Cutco in 00' as ...
- Billy Bob: ...and on today's episode of "how to be disingenuo...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.
- Marcus Robbins: Right on the money! I started w Cutco in 00′ as an 18 year old college freshman, I never...
- Billy Bob: …and on today’s episode of “how to be disingenuous.” The problem with this...