In 1994, the smartest guys in the financial trading and academic world got together to start Long Term Capital. John Meriwether from
Mar 23, 2006
in On Demand
The hype cycle for grid computing started many years ago, and today it is mostly relegated to uses in bioinformatics, financial services, and 3d modeling (think crash testing, oil discovery, etc.). With yesterday’s announcement, Sun is making this grid infrastructure available to anyone, anytime, and on demand at Network.com. As Jonathan Schwartz points out, consumer […]
There is an article in the Wall Street Journal (sorry-requires subscription) today on pre-emptive financings or financings that happen when a company is not actually looking for capital. It is common wisdom amongst the investment community for entrepreneurs to "eat when dinner is being served." In other words, companies should take cash even if they […]
Mar 14, 2006
I can’t tell you how many companies come in and present and inevitably, somewhere in the deck, is a list of advisors. Of course, as I dig in to understand what these advisors actually do for the company, 9 times out of 10 they are just high profile names that are thrown on a list […]
We are all enjoying the benefits that come with the commoditization of existing hardware and software infrastructure. It is true that it costs exponentially less to launch a business today versus five years ago. We are all smarter, broadband penetration is reaching critical mass, and open source and commodity hardware have become reliable alternatives to […]
Trust me, I love having well capitalized companies. However, having too much money can be a curse, not a blessing. More often than not, I see management lose financial discipline and avoid making hard decisions when capital is abundant and not scarce. To many executives, money does solve all problems. And yes, having money allows […]
Ed Sim is founder of BOLDstart Ventures and co-founder of Dawntreader Ventures. Mr. Sim has over 15 years of venture capital experience having led seed and first round investments in a number of high profile Internet and software companies.
- I hate shitty software – webroot spysweeper v5 Jul 25, 2006
- iPod sucks Nov 26, 2005
- Remember Long Term Capital? Mar 24, 2006
- Tips for the first VC Meeting Nov 29, 2005
- RSS Ads Feb 28, 2005
- Branding first starts with your team May 17, 2013
- Camping out and closing deals Jan 15, 2013
- Cutco Knives and startups Sep 28, 2012
- Startups and Intellectual Property (IP) May 16, 2012
- What entrepreneurs can learn from Jeff Spicoli Jan 25, 2012
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. :) I would love to be ...
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an ange...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have fo...
- Alex: Thanks so much for posting this. I have had a hell of a time explaining my relatives and friends why I am...
- Sarah: Jose Ramirez, If you find yourself with no recs go back through your initial list that you created in...
- Hercules Fernandes: Well Noah, look no further. I would love to be the one to help with that experience....
- Chris: One of my best friends, who is about to do an angel round for his start up, and I constantly say,...
- Jose Ramirez: I currently am showing/saleing cutco but i have found myself with no leads/ Recomendations.